Welcome to the SANBTC 2022 Congress
Dear South African National Blood Transfusion Congress Stakeholder,
RE: 36th South African National Blood Transfusion Congress (SANBTC)
As you know, the 36th South African National Blood Transfusion Congress (SANBTC) is currently scheduled for 14 – 17 March 2022.
Although it was our hope that the COVID pandemic situation would have improved to allow this Congress to go ahead as scheduled, the Directors of the South African Society for Blood Transfusion (who also comprise the Organising Committee), as well as the PCO, Scatterlings, have taken the difficult decision to postpone the Congress to a later date.
Our primary reasons are:
- South Africa will probably be in, or coming out of the 3rd wave of COVID infections at that time. There is considerable uncertainty regarding the Regulations which will be in force at that time – but clearly these may preclude gatherings and travel.
- While many delegates, exhibitors and speakers will have been vaccinated, even those who have will not have 100% protection, and of course those who have not been vaccinated will be at risk.
- The COVID situation and travel restrictions in other countries will influence the physical attendance of International invited speakers, overseas principals of exhibitors and sponsors, and delegates from African and other countries.
- We considered converting the Congress to a fully virtual meeting, but this would be a markedly substandard alternative. We have always prized the on-site presence and availability of invited experts, as well as the developmental and team-building opportunities our Congress provides for our staff which would be significantly diluted by an on-line offering. In addition, for many of our staff, the Congress provides the opportunity for their first public research presentation.
- The Trade and Sponsors are key partners in the success of the SANBTC, and it is our belief that an in-person Trade Exhibition offers the optimum return on investment, which can not be effectively replicated in an on-line format.
- Our final consideration is that the Congress is a non-essential event, and a postponement will not impair the longer term objectives of the Congress, and the Society.
We appreciate that this postponement may cause inconvenience, for which we apologise – however, this difficult decision has been made in the interests of the safety of all stakeholders, as well as hosting a successful Congress from 14 to 17 March 2022..
We are exploring our options regarding new dates, although the venue (Durban ICC) and broad structure of the Congress schedule are expected to remain the same.
Wendy Sykes Marion Vermeulen
Chair – President – SASBT
SANBTC Organising Committee
The theme for the 2022 congress is “Shaping a sustainable future”.
The Scientific Committee will be compiling a comprehensive and exciting programme in which local and international speakers will address the challenges facing blood collection and transfusion in South Africa, Africa and the World. Presentations and discussions by invited speakers and delegates will focus on future strategies to ensure the sustainability of blood transfusion in terms of managing donors, resources and the blood supply, marketing and information technology, patient blood management and blood safety.
The congress aims to provide a platform for delegates to acquire information on scientific developments, share knowledge and network with other professionals in their fields. As in previous years, we hope to welcome a growing number of delegates from neighboring African countries to widen our pool of knowledge and ensure the sustainability of blood transfusion as an essential service.
Our sponsors and exhibitors will also be displaying the latest equipment and technology available in the market in a vibrant Trade Exhibition.
The Social Committee will be working hard to create a fun-filled social programme that will include a welcome cocktail evening, a casual dinner with the traditional singing competition, a Gala dinner and an early morning Fun Run along Durban’s glorious Golden Mile.
As chairperson of the Organising Committee, I cordially invite you to attend the 36th SANBT Congress. We look forward to getting to know you while you relax and enjoy Durban – “the warmest place to be”.
Chairperson of the SANBTC 2021 Organising Committee
On-line abstract submission closes: 30 April 2021
On-line registration closes: 20 August 2021
45 Bram Fischer Road
Tel: +27 (0)31 360 1000
GPS Coordinates: S 29 51.166 / E 31 01.791
Decimal Degrees: -29.8527608 / 31.0298468
Degrees, Minutes, Seconds: S 29 51 09 / E 31 01 47